Friday, January 22, 2010

Webinar

The start of an 18 part YouTube series that is just fantastic.

The Case for Permaculture
Thank you, Bill and Becky Wilson.

I wish I could afford to take a certification course.

And see to me, this is another problem. The money thing. Say, Fred cannot afford to go to permaculture school, because Fred is broke. And he can't get a permaculture garden started on his apartment balcony, because he's broke. But what if Fred is just as passionate about permaculture as Bill Wilson? What are his resources? This is a problem for Fred if he lives in Lakeview or if he lives in Englewood.

At least Growing Home has an Urban Agriculture plot in Englewood. (I applied to work there- please hire me.)

Or here's another option... Mr. and Mrs. Wilson, please sponsor me through one of your design courses, or work with me to find someone who can afford to sponsor me, so that I can take this knowledge to low income communities. There are so many resources down there... talk about converting the "waste" of the industrial system into bounty.

Not to mention that people with passion from better communities can come and learn, too. Create a free learning-and-doing permaculure community. We put our brains together, I bet we can gather enough resources to get some things done.

What about guerilla planting? Anyone doing this? I'm talking about sprouting fruit and nut trees and planting them across low-income communities or in vacant lots around the city. Or scattering seeds of food-bearing plants in niches where they might prosper.

I'd love to see low income neighborhoods bursting with urban vertical gardens. Tomato plants hanging from every balcony. So much food could be grown in these communities... where organic produce is a fantasy.

But I'm broke. What happened to apprenticeship? I'll sleep on the floor. I'll clean your house. Just feed me and teach me.

...I sound like a zealot. Creepy.

No comments:

Post a Comment